Monday, August 27, 2012

To Bodly Go Where No Woman Has Gone Before


Ok, so maybe the title is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure I'm not the first to attempt being a single, stay at home parent. But it isn't a very popular lifestyle as of yet and there are many who still think it's a joke. So for me, it feels like I'm starting an exploration into new, uncharted territory.

First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes life as a stay at home wife and mother of three. That is until the unthinkable happens. Divorce.

Suddenly my entire world is turned upside down. Before the words "I do" ever passed my lips, the ex and I decided that I would stay at home with the children. My mother raised me and my brother full-time and I thought that I would do the same for my kids.

Going into the marriage, I already had a son, Ethan. Ethan was two years old and wore an adorable little tuxedo on our wedding day. Ethan is the light in my world and the reason behind every breath that I breathe. He is also blind and disabled. He has brain abnormalities and suffers from a genetic condition called Trisomy 8 mosaicism, sometimes called Warkany Syndrome. It's because of Ethan that I was so passionate about staying at home. I couldn't bear to send him to daycare. As a married woman, that decision was easy and my husband supported me.

Over the next six years, my little family grew. Two more bundles of joy came into my life. First, my handsome and very bright son, Adrien and later my beautiful little princess Eva. Needless to say, I have my hands full. ;)

When I finally left my husband I was terrified. I moved into my parent's house, where the kids and I still live as of now. Aside from the love and support that comes from my family, I've been called lazy by my ex and his family. I've been criticized and told to get a job by people who don't even know me. I've been told that I need to suck it up and put my son Ethan in an institution so that I can go back to work. But for me, that's not an option.

Ethan is now eight years old, going on nine. He attends a special education school and is thriving there. He goes to school for the regular school-time hours and is home every afternoon, on holidays and during the summer. Unless I can find a part-time job willing to work around his school schedule, society says that my only other option is to put him in a home.

Regular daycare is not trained or equipped to deal with the needs of Ethan. He is nonverbal, walks only with assistance, is still in diapers and is severely autistic. When people look at him, they tell me I can't possibly keep him at home with me. That soon, he'll be too big for me to care for. But you know what? He's my child, my flesh and blood, for God's sake! He will live at home with me and his siblings. He will be tucked into his own bed at night and given kisses by his own mommy. I will not send him to a home just because it would be easier for me to get a "mainstream" job.

So what's my solution? I'm going to work from home. I've done it in the past for extra money here and there, but from here on out I'm going to need to make a full-time income from home. Seems insane doesn't it? But the way I see it, it's the only shot I've got to keep my family together.

If you're a single mom who would like to work from home and stay with your children, follow this blog. Share a laugh or a tear with me and know that you are not alone. I'll be posting about the things I do for money, what works and what doesn't. You can learn from my mistakes and use some of my successes to create success in your own life. It's going to be a long journey, but I really believe that I can do it. And so can you.

The Inspiration for this Blog and My Life:

 
Ethan, age 8

 
Adrien, age 3
 
 
Eva, age 1

No comments:

Post a Comment